Monday, August 31, 2015

Chapter 3: Arrangement

Reading Response
By Sarah Moore

Personal Response: 
While my English textbook doesn't necessary scream, "thought-provoking and intriguing" or, "a must read", it is, in fact, a book necessary for a class such as English 121, or any English class for that matter. After completing chapter 3, I immediately thought it was a needed and hopefully highly recommended chapter to read for those wanting help organizing and even composing their essays. Though it was technical (and could be a bit dry), I liked the detail it gave to its readers. What I was first drawn to were the examples of different introductions to start an essay, such as the suggestion of using an anecdote or story. I was pleasantly surprised at this, since I love to use the creative side of writing, but didn't know how to accomplish that in something as structured as an essay. It was very useful, I particularly appreciated the lengthy list of possible transitions, and I hope to use the tips and checklists when I begin my own essays. 

Professional Response:
It had many relevant examples and recommendations on how to be meticulous in essay writing. To keep the reader engaged and practicing, the chapter provided paragraphs to be edited, such as identifying the thesis statements, or underlining well-written paragraphs, that proved very helpful. Overall it encouraged the reader to be specific, use formal outlines if being clear and concise is often difficult, and support what it is that's being written about as thoroughly as possible. A wonderful chapter to revert back to when in need of essay advice. 


.










Photo by Sarah Moore, 2015


WORKS CITED
Kirszner, Laurie G. and Stephen R. Mandell. Patterns for College Writing: A Rhetorical Reader and Guide. Boston: Bedford St. Martin's, 2001. Print.




No comments:

Post a Comment